Every year, at the beginning of January, I start peppering my sentences with, “I can’t believe it’s already [insert year here]!” I tried to be more aware of the time this year, and part of that was working on my resolutions for 2011. I thought I had it all worked out, but I just read a post from Audrey McClelland of Mom Generations and I love her approach so much more than what I had. So I scrapped my original resolutions (or at least they way they were written) and am making a hope list instead.
Ten Things I Hope For in 2011
1. Feel 16 again. This is my fitness hope. I wrote a post the other day about this and it still holds (whether it’s a resolution or a hope). I want to make choices that help to transform my body from the lump it is now back to the body that will do what I ask of it.
2. Don’t over-commit. I want to do everything for everyone, so I say yes too often. I mean it when I say it, and I *want* to do whatever it is I’ve said, but most of the time I just can’t. So, I hope to work on saying yes to the things I can reasonably get done and not feel guilty about saying no the other times.
3. Drink more. Water! What this hope really translates to is cutting down (and then out) on diet soda. It’s my only big source of caffeine and I have entirely too much of it. I’ve already started this one and it’s hard.
4. Budget. I have played with household budgets through the years, but it’s something I really want to be good at. I want to know where my money is going and where I can put it to better use. If we can do this in 2011, I will be a very happy camper.
5. Give. I like to help people. What can I say, I’m a giver. When Mark died, I had a lot of incredible friends and generous strangers give to me. It helped more than they will ever know. Ever since then, I’ve given whenever I can, but I want it to be more strategic. I also want it to be done in a way that my children learn from. I’m still figuring this one out, but I have a few things in mind.
6. Get green. We do a few things that are green, but I know we could be doing more as a family. I think this hope goes nicely with the fitness, drinking, budgeting and possibly the giving hopes as well.
7. Follow directions. Specifically, medical directions. I tend to forget to take medication, and it’s something that I hope to do better with this year. Vitamins FTW!
8. Scrapbook. When N was little, I was able to scrapbook a lot. It was what I did at night after he went to sleep. That’s when I was single with one child. It’s more challenging now to find the time to scrapbook, and I miss it so much. I want this hobby, which makes me so happy, back.
9. Write. I want to write more. And better. Hopefully, the better comes with the more.
10. Remove distractions. I have anxiety issues that tend to come out in my awareness of clutter and being incredibly bothered by it. I want to identify the real messes and clean those up; while also identifying the things that I can live with and learning not to be bothered by them.
11. Okay, I have a bonus hope. I hope that my incredibly smart and talented husband finds his dream job. Because he is awesome and any company or organization would be lucky to have him as part of their team.
That’s my list. What do you think? Are you doing resolutions for 2011? Or maybe wishes and hopes? I’d love to hear them!